Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Map of Footpaths in Rolleston on Dove

Village-walks-20 (dragged) 2

To see all local footpaths please take a look at this website Staffordshire County Council Footpaths

Key for map of Rolleston on Dove

The Photographs

A) The Spread Eagle Inn and Restaurant, dating from circa 1820s, has expanded to include adjoining cottages and a wing, once the “Girls’ School”, in later times.

B) St Mary’s Church – a place of worship has stood on this site since the early 12th century; the presence of a priest is recorded in the Doomsday Book. The present Church was built during the 13 century, its south aisle housing memorials to the Mosley family. Built in 1919, the lych gate is dedicated as the village war memorial.

C) The Old Grammar School, situated on the western boundary of the churchyard, was re-built with bricks in 1638, following a fire to the original. Retaining some of the earlier masonry, it housed the school, founded in 1524 by Robert Sherbourne, Bishop of Chichester until 1909 when the state school opened.

D) Brookside, a picturesque village lane, once the main route from Stretton and Claymills, fully lives up to its name. Cottages flank its north side, as it follows the course of the Alderbrook.

E) The Commemoration Hall, also known as Rolleston Club, the earlier part of the building dating to 1897, was erected to commemorate the diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria. Sir Oswald Mosley, a generous benefactor to the community, made rules that there should be no ties to a political party or to any class of religion, all equal, all friendly. But what he did debar was socialism, anarchism and gambling.

F) The Jinnie Inn and Restaurant, once a farmhouse, is said to have served as an ale house for the refreshment of the navvies building the railway line in 1847/8, before reverting to agriculture.

G) The Jinnie Nature Trail follows the route of the railway line that linked Rolleston and Stretton until 1968. The remains of the station have been unearthed and identified with illustrated signage, the area between the two platforms is now a wild flower meadow.

H) Brook Hollows Spinney is an area once part of the Mosley estate, the lake being one of a series of fishing and pleasure lakes dug along the Alderbrook. Reinstated during the 1970s, the lake is surrounded by woodland creating a natural habitat.

J) The almshouses, their lawns skirting the Alderbrook, have been the subject for many pictures depicting the village. Built in 1712 the dwellings have been frequently upgraded, their thatched roofs being replaced by slate in 1833 and then tile in 1893.


The Footpaths

1)  Church Road north-east to Glebe Close (leading to Marston Lane).

2)  Home Farm Park entrance at Marston Lane, north-west to Shotwoodhill Lane, (circa 50m).

3) Church Road, into Shotwood Close, path on the left, north to Shotwoodhill, joining footpath 4.

4)  Footpath 3 at Shotwoodhill, north-west to parish boundary, at Cornmill Lane, joining footpath 5, (circa 50m).

5)  Marston Lane, 150 yards north-east of Home Farm Park entrance, north-west to parish boundary, south-east of Hoblands Farm, (circa 1.2 km).

6)  Marston Lane by Old Mosley Farm and Dovelea, north-east to Marston Lane at junction with footpath 7.

7)  Marston Lane at termination of footpath 6 at ponds.  South to the farmyard and into Brookside, (circa 900m)

8)  Church Road, left towards cemetery, then south-west along Fiddlers Lane (bridle path) to Lodge Hill (A511), (circa 900m).

9)  Junction of Anslow Lane and Knowles Hill, south-west by Brook Hollows to A511, (circa 1.5 km).

14)  Beacon Road by Brindle Cottage, south-east to Tafflands and Craythorne Road.

15)  Dovecliff Road near Jinny Nature Trail to Craythorne Road at Craythorne Farm.

17)  Church Road, between Church and Inn, south to Burnside opposite Commemoration Hall.

18)  Craythorne Road at junction with footpath 14, west to Walford Road.